Frequent Asked Questions
- Do I have to be a student to become a member?
- No, you don't have to be a student. Everybody is welcome to drive our cars!
- How can I become a customer?
- Click on the green 'request Access Card' button, leave your information and make the payment we will send you your personal Access Card soon. Reserving a car before you get your Access card is possible.
- How can I open and lock the car?
- You can unlock the car with your peronal Access Card. Never use the key for locking the car!
Dont be afraid to use the card during your reservation, you wont log out.
Logging out will only occur when you press the black button.
If you forget something inside the car, no problem, your Access Card will work another 5 minutes.
- I'm foreign, can I join your service?
- Yes, you can drive with a valid EU drivers license.
If you are from outside the EU, by law you can only drive with your domestic drivers license until 185 days after arriving in The Netherlands.
We do not accept non-EU applicants who are in The Netherlands longer than 125 days and do not have a Dutch drivers license. Be sure to apply again when you get this license though!
- Can somebody else drive in my timeslot?
- No, only if that person is a StudentCar customer as well. Otherwise it is strictly forbidden to let other people drive. There is no insurance coverage for other people than those that subscribed to StudentCar!
- Am I obliged to pay a deposit?
- No, we do not charge a deposit. Should you damage the car, than it will cost you €300 own risk. You can decrease this amount to €50 for €10 er reservation.
Check the terms and conditions for more information on liability.
- Do I have to pay for the fuel myself?
- No not directly. Fuel expenses are integrated in the kilometer price.
Fuel is on our expense. You will find a tank card in every car. It is valid at every gas station in The Netherlands.
You ought to fuel up when the tank is getting empty. Don't leave the person next to you with an almost empty fuel tank. You wouldn't like that either!
- How do I pay my rides?
- Comfortably, by direct debit. At the end of the month you can access online an invoice listing the details of your rides.
- How long in advance do I have to make my reservation?
- 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years or just last minute! If it's available, it's available. Your call…
- Where is the car key?
- The key is in the car at all times! The key only works if you made a reservation and properly opened the car with your Access Card.
- Are there reserved parking lots for StudentCars?
- Yes, StudentCars have their own parking spots. Sometimes you need a card to leave the parking area, you find this card behind the sun-visor above your head.
Check the 'locations' page for more details on where you find these spots.
- What kind of cars does StudentCar have?
- We have Toyota Aygo's (max 4 pers) and Seat Ibiza's (max 5 pers).
We do not have (moving) vans nor do our cars have towing hooks.
Check our cars
- Is it always necessary to indicate an end time?
- Yes, absolutely! Otherwise somebody else does not know when the car is available again. Be sure to return the car on time for that reason too!
- What happens when I'm too late?
- If you think you won't be back ontime e.g. due to traffic jams or appointments running late, give us a call so we can try to extend your booking time.
If you do not report lateness to us in time, you will be fined €25,-
- May I undertake one-way rides with StudentCar?
- No, you will have to return the car at the pick-up parking spot.
- How long can I reserve a car?
- As opposed to car rental, carsharing vehicles are best to be used for trips lasting a couple hours. We do however have an attractive daily and weekend rate. Check prices page for details.
- What if I don't use a reserved car?
- Reservations can be cancelled 48 hours in advance by sending an email to email@example.com. Otherwise you will still be charged for the period you reserved the car for given the fact that you blocked the car from being used by someone else.
No km charges of course.
- May I go abroad with a StudentCar?
- No frontiers within the European Union, but please inform us if you have plans travel further than 500km one way.
- Is smoking allowed in StudentCars?
- No smoking unless you're on fire.
If you think the previous driver was smoking, please let us know and we will look into it and possibly suspend his membership. Nobody wants to be driving an ashtray...
- How do I get a Access Card to?
- Email, address en phone number should be kept up to date. This is your own responsibility and you can easily update this information via your own online account page. Log in with your member ID and password and press 'contact'.
Bank account number should be changed via StudentCar customer service (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- How do I unsubscribe?
- Quitting our carclub? Is of course possible. Be aware that there is a one full month cancelation term. After quitting the club, you will not be able to apply for the service until 4 months after time of cancellation. To quit send an email to email@example.com.
- Where does the economic advantage of Car Sharing end?
- For up to 10.000 kilometers per year, a private car will always be more expensive than using a car-sharing vehicle.
2013 © StudentCar. All rights reserved.